By Thomas Tran
Press release from XRAY:
Team Xray is always hard at work. With a product line that updates every year for most of its product line, the road of progression sees no end. This time, the RX8 gets the 2016 update with a list of new parts and design that is longer than most people's friend list. Take a trip over to Xray to find out more on their dedicated RX8 page!
The RX8 is a typical XRAY car - a premium, professional, high competition model racing car for the most demanding racers, developed and designed with attention to the smallest details.
Here's what's new in the 2016 model.
• All-new aluminum backbone
• All-new chassis
• All-new aluminum front & rear bulkheads
• All-new aluminum 2-speed bulkheads
• All-new aluminum front & rear upper clamps
• All-new aluminum front upper arm holders
• All-new front middle shaft holder
• All-new graphite radio plate & Multi-Flex™
• All-new aluminum radio plate mounts
• All-new muffler mounting
• All-new fuel tank & mounting system
• All-new aluminum engine mounts
• All-new aluminum front & rear lower suspension mounts
• All-new graphite rear upper suspension mounts
• All-new front lower suspension pivot pins
• All-new rear upper & lower suspension pivot pins
• All-new front lower arm
• All-new aluminum extension for steering block
• All-new aluminum steering servo mounts
• All-new graphite & steel extensions for shocks (lower suspension arms)
• All-new graphite front & rear shock towers
• All-new shock ball joints for improved up- and down-travel
• All-new rear solid axle shaft & pulley
• All-new front anti-roll bar wire
• All-new front aluminum body posts
• All-new graphite belt tensioner holder
• All-new pinions
The most significant change to the latest RX8 platform is the all-new aluminum backbone. The main frame and backbone of the car consist of high-precision aluminum bulkheads and aluminum suspension holders that are mounted to the aluminum chassis.
All bulkhead parts are CNC-machined from premium Swiss 7075 T6 aluminum and have been designed to provide the lightest and strongest possible support framework for the car with maximum flex characteristics for increased traction.
Overall, the chassis is very narrow to increase chassis flex and generate more traction and steering. The narrow chassis also prevents chassis contact in corners and helps to eliminate the feel of the car ‘stopping‘ in mid-corner.
One of the most significant changes to the latest RX8 platform is the all-new aluminum bulkheads. With changing rules moving to larger, harder tires, the traditional composite bulkheads were changed for aluminum. The new aluminum bulkheads provide improved stiffness & flex characteristics for better steering characteristics, even with hard spec tires.
The super-lightweight Swiss 7075 T6 aluminum bulkheads have a very clean and lightweight design to give the lowest weight and CG, making the RX8 easy to service while still giving easy access to all parts.
With XRAY's uncompromising design philosophy bringing everything together to make the best nitro on-road car, the RX8 has the unique XRAY character, born of precision craftsmanship and highest attention to detail. For drivers with an irrepressible drive to win, the RX8 is the answer.