Thursday Testimonials: DE Racing Setup Wheels, CRC Rocket Fuel 7100mAh LiPo
Thursday, Nov 7, 2013 08:00am
By LiveRC Staff
Whether it's wheel nuts, wings, tools, tracks, trinkets and/or anything in between, the LiveRC staff gives their testimonial and mini-review of each every Thursday morning!
DE Racing Setup Wheels
Starting at $17.95 (depends on wheel size and adapters)
When it comes to setting up your offroad vehicle camber and toe, without purchasing a $150+ setup station, there has been no real good way to accurately set camber and toe. When trying to make these adjustments with standard wheels and tires on the car, you will often get inaccurate readings due to tire position, foam inserts, excess side wall, etc. DE Racing has developed an all-new setup system which features the new DE Racing setup wheels (available in 1:10 and 1:8 sizes), and wheel adapters (available for almost all popular brand vehicles on the market).
The winter weather is setting in here, and that means indoor 1:10 scale offroad racing. The crew at DE Racing hooked us up with the new setup system, in which we put together and fit on our 1:10 2wd buggy. In order to properly use the DE Racing setup system you need a flat and level surface, quality camber gauge, and quality toe gauge.
(Wheels sold in pairs, and adapters sold separately.)
- An entire setup for a 1:10 2wd buggy (2 sets of setup wheels, 2 sets of adapters) costs approximately $50 as opposed to $150+ for traditional setup stations.
- Setup wheels are universal, meaning once you purchase a full set for either 1:10 scale or 1:8 scale, not matter what brand car you buy in the future the wheels are always good. $7 adapters is all that you will need when changing brands.
- Provide a smooth and accurate surface to measure camber and toe.
- Wheels designed to be the overall size of standard wheels and tires to also set ride height.
- Assembly is easy, as each adapter is held in place with only 3 screws that are included.
- Easy transport when travelling.
- Ummm...is there honestly any cons to being able to accurately set up your car?
The DE Racing setup system is a brilliant idea. It may not be quite as accurate as using an elaborate traditional style setup station with fancy gauges, setup board, and gadgets, but for $100+ less we'll take our chances. The setup wheels provide a consistent way to measure and set your camber and toe. While they are designed to allow for ride height adjustment as well, we recommend setting that with your standard wheels and tires. When travelling, it is often too hard to carry and pack bulky setup stations, but the DE Racing wheels and adapters fit just about anywhere. Keep in mind, much of the success from using this system relies on YOU and your gauges. We're not saying you need million dollar tools to measure your camber and toe, but we are saying that your setup will only be as accurate as the measurements your tools read. Overall the DE Racing setup system is an excellent way to accurately set up at your car, while being as easy as possible on your wallet.
Beacon Rating: 5/5
CRC Rocket Fuel 7100mAh 90C LiPo
Calandra Racing Concepts (CRC) has been in the industry for years. They are primarily known for their dominance in carpet onroad and oval racing, however, over the past several years have ventured into LiPo batteries found in both the on and offroad machines of top drivers worldwide.
When racing something like 4wd Modified Short Course Truck, it takes a LOT of power and a lot battery to run it all. Quite often at larger races, the A-Mains are going to 8, 10, or even 12 minutes in length. Keeping a 4wd Modified Short Course Truck running for that long can be a tough task. In an effort to do so, we decided to try out the CRC Rocket Fuel 7100mAh 90C LiPo pack.
- 7100mAh provides plenty of run-time for an 8 minute run even in 4wd SCT...10-12 is pushing it depending on the conditions and equipment used.
- ROAR Approved.
- Cells have stayed balanced even after multiple runs.
- The extra mAh's make this battery heavy.
- Compared to other 90C packs, this pack does not offer the punch we expected when tested in a 1:10 17.5 buggy.
If you are a modified and/or 4wd SCT racer looking for run-time, this battery is a good choice. It stays well balanced, provides good run-time, and is ROAR Approved. If you are stock class racer, this is not a battery we would recommend, as it is in fact heavier due to its size, and we recommend sticking to one of the lighter weight Rocket Fuel packs instead.
Beacon Rating: 3/5