By Mike Garrison
Whether it's wheel nuts, wings, tools, tracks, trinkets and/or anything in between, the LiveRC staff gives their testimonial and review of each every Thursday morning!
JConcepts Parts Tray
One of latest additions to the JConcepts pit accessory product line is the new rubber pit tray. The JC pit tray is similar to many pit trays in that it offers various small compartments (six to be exact) for small parts and screws, one medium compartment, and one larger compartment for larger parts and/or small tools. The major differences between this pit tray and some others is that instead of being constructed from plastic or aluminum, this is made up of a lightweight semi-flexible rubber material. JConcepts has incorporated diff holding slots (labeled front, middle, rear) to fit most 1/10-scale and 1/8-scale diff outdrives, and the larger pit tray compartment is finished off with a raised Dirt Webs tire tread pattern to give a distinct JConcepts style and appearance. The pit tray is available in your choice of black (2550-2) or blue (2550-1).
- The rubber material has a very “grippy” feel and provides a good grip and hold on both 1/10-scale and 1/8-scale differentials when placed in the diff holder slots.
- The labeled diff slots are marked with the letters F, M, and R, which is handy when building or servicing all three diffs at once.
- Slightly curved bottom edges in the compartments makes it easier to remove small screws or shims by allowing you to slide them to the edge of the compartment, and up the side wall.
- Not as rigid as plastic or aluminum trays.
- Grips in place on your pit table, and extra well when used sitting on top of rubber pit mat.
- Easy to transport, lightweight, and despite being contorted to fit in hauler bag, the rubber snaps right back into shape.
- The rubber material does collect dirt and debris, but is very easy to clean with warm soapy water.
- Easy to transport, haul, and carry with its lightweight and flexible rubber material.
- Fits and firmly grips both 1/10-scale and 1/8-scale differentials in addition to small parts and pieces.
- More total number of compartments and varying size compartments than most comparable size parts trays.
- Considerably cheaper in price than comparable aluminum parts trays.
- Rubber material cleans up easy to keep it looking fresh by simply washing in the sink with warm soapy water.
- Does not offer the “bling” factor or rigidity to hold tools upright as some aluminum parts trays offer.
To be honest, I have never used a “bad” pit tray, so I can’t say that this pit tray is any greater or worse in terms of performance (holding parts and pieces you sit in it). What I can say is that with more compartments, built in diff holders for both 1/10-scale and 1/8-scale differentials, and multiple color options, I feel as though the JConcepts rubber parts tray provides a great deal of “bang for your buck”. This tray does not offer the rigidity, or overall “factory bling” appearance that aluminum parts trays may offer, but at half the price I don’t mind a little less pit table flash.
Rating: 5 out of 5