By Mike Garrison
TLR debuted the new 22 5.0 AC and DC 1/10-scale 2wd buggies at the recent IOCC in Las Vegas. With the official release of the fifth generation 22 series 2wd buggy just around the corner, we flashback to the 2011 release of the original TLR 22 1/10-scale 2wd buggy.
The release of the original 22 in 2011 was a monumental redesign for TLR in many ways. This was buggy was a "first" for the brand in many ways including; the first complete redesign since 1999, the first to use the TLR name (previously Team Losi), the first to use an aluminum chassis, the first to use big bore shocks, and the first to provide an option to build it with mid-motor or rear-motor configuration.
In the hands of Dustin Evans, the 22 saw its first ROAR National Championship win in 2011 as well at Nor Cal Hobbies in Union City, California.
The TLR 22 family has progressed immensely over the years, and while we anxiously await the 5.0, we must not forget where the journey began...
Press Release from TLR - 2011:
A revolutionary vehicle is upon us. Its name is 22. It is the result of 30 years of eating, breathing and sleeping RC. Everything we’ve done has led us to this moment. Every race we’ve won. Every vehicle we’ve designed. It all helped us create the 22 from the ground up. This is a platform like nothing you’ve ever seen, and it’s going to rock the RC world. 1/10-scale racing is back, and it’s back with a vengeance.
Evolution meets Revolution with the 1/10 scale 22 2WD Race Buggy Kit from Team Losi Racing. This innovative release from Team Losi Racing will change 1/10-scale electric racing as we know it due to its unique design elements.
(Left - Team Losi XXX CR 2wd Buggy, Right - TLR 22 2wd Buggy)
The Team Losi Racing 1/10-scale 22 2WD Electric Race Buggy Kit is an entirely new racing platform. Without a doubt, it will reignite 1/10-scale electric racing throughout the world. The TLR 22's innovative design takes full advantage of envelope-pushing Li-Po and brushless power. It is the only platform of its kind to offer all the hardware needed in a single kit to build a rear- or mid-motor configured chassis. The 22 is about to change all the rules.
- Mid- and Rear-Motor Option
- 2.5mm Hard-Anodized Aluminum Chassis
- Adjustable Caster via the Spindle (0, 3, 5, 10°)
- 12mm Big Bore Aluminum Shock with Bladder Compensator
- Adjustable Front Kick via Shims
- All-Metric Hardware
- Adjustable Spindle Carrier (Inline or Trailing)
- *Inline Optional
- Gull Wing Suspension Arm Design (Front and Rear)
- Wide Range or Rear Toe Adjustability
- Optimized Motor Placement for Balance
- Simple Repair Bolt-On Camber Blocks
- Innovative Steering Rack Design
- 3.5mm Heavy-Duty Turnbuckles
- Long-Life Titanium Nitride Hinge Pins
- Vertical Mounted Ball Studs
- Optimized Battery Tray to Use Future Battery Technology
- Dual Disk Slipper Clutch
- Secure Battery Straps