ADVERTISEMENT | ADVERTISE WITH US
By Aaron Waldron
Everybody knows that Friday is meant for reminiscing old times. Each week we take you back in time as we flashback to some of R/C racing's greatest moments, products, drivers, and more!
Schumacher released the Cougar SVR
This past Wednesday, June 29, marked the four-year anniversary of the release of the Schumacher Cougar SVR
- a rear-motor 2WD buggy built for low-grip tracks. The Cougar SV mid-motor buggy - Schumacher's first all-new 2WD platform since the Fireblade released in 1997 - had been out for over two years at that point, with the class already transitioning toward the chassis platform on the high-traction tracks of Europe, but Schumacher built the SVR for America-style courses and fans of dirt racing. The SVR was available as a pre-built rolling chassis as well as an unassembled kit, and in fact wasn't even Schumacher's last rear-motored car - that distinction belongs to the Cougar KR
, which debuted in September 2013.
Here's the official press release for the Cougar SVR:
The NEW Cougar SVR is a professional, high performance 2WD racing buggy designed especially for dirt and low traction surfaces. Developed from the highly successful Cougar range of cars which have won countless races worldwide.
The SVR incorporates an all new transmission with a rearward motor location and optimised weight distribution for maximum traction.
The SVR - designed for dirt, designed to win!
The choice is now yours without compromise – The Cougar SVR for dirt and low traction or the Cougar SV2 for high traction, such as astro, grass or carpet.
- NEW Rear motor, three geared transmission - Excellent grip on low traction circuits..
- NEW CVA style driveshafts - Increased drive.
- NEW Forward cab shell - Modern look that offers improved high speed steering.
- NEW Moulded chassis sides - Fantastic dirt seal with no handling compromise.
- NEW Longer front wishbones - Improved corner speed.
- NEW Alloy chassis - low centre of gravity for LiPo batteries.
- NEW Stronger front bulkhead and bottom plate - Its even tougher.
- NEW Large front/rear battery position adjustment - Allows weight distribution tuning for each track.
- NEW Gear differential option available.
- NEW Carbon Fibre Anti-Squat plates 0º - 3º.
- NEW Quick access differential.
- NEW Material strengthened wheels.
- Heavy duty, big bearing differential - Small diameter, lightweight unit offering low rotating mass.
- 24 piece “Red Seal” ball bearing set - Gives silky steering and transmission.
- Large transmission bearings - Strong and reliable.
- Super strong steering levers, unique constant radius steering system - Offers true ackermann and linear steering response.
- Easy to assemble, rigid wing mount system - Stronger, with less wing flex.
- Moulded gear cover - Better spur gear protection.
- Super cool” Alloy motor plate - Larger surface area and greater thickness offers better cooling and rigidity.
- Rear wishbones - Offers more lower position shock mounting options.
- Rear anti-roll bar - Better handling.
- Accepts either stick, saddle or shorty lipo batteries as standard - For superb versatility.
- Pro spec 13mm big bore shocks with titanium nitride shafts, CNC machined pistons with recessed ‘e’clips, threaded collars, twin O ring sealing and diaphragm volume compensation.
- PTFE coated shock bodies - Hard, and super smooth shock action.
- All CNC machined internal geared transmission - Super quiet and efficient.
- Excellent centre line balance - Great control for all track surfaces.
- Adjustable bushed pivot control system - Super smooth, multi position suspension action.
- Fully optimised suspension geometry - Fast, consistent handling.
- Maximum dimension rear wing - Superb airflow control, offering maximum down force.
- Black 7075 T6 alloy motor plate and lower diff mounts. - Strong yet lightweight.