By Mike Garrison
Job Opening from Horizon Hobby:
Horizon Hobby, LLC is hiring an R/C Surface Team Coordinator. This position is responsible for managing all TLR team members and activities for Horizon Hobby’s race team. This self-starting individual will own the team, budget, and brand building for Team Losi Racing and Spektrum surface products. This position will be responsible for collecting and summarizing input and feedback from both racers and consumers; and funneling it upstream to Product Development and Marketing. This input may include such things as: new marketing opportunities, product issues (good and bad), new product ideas, potential improvements, etc. This position will also perform as a conduit for delivering critical information in a timely manner from racers and consumers to Marketing, helping to improve existing products, provide timely information to our customers and develop new strategies that better suit the needs of our customers.
- Manage the contracts and team roster for all TLR team members including applying budgets for the paid drivers' budgets.
- Support TLR team members and consumers at key events identified in the team plan.
- Manage the team budget including team equipment, fees, travel, and food expenses not to exceed the budgeted amount for the fiscal year.
- Submit all personal and team expenses within 30 days of receiving them.
- Arrange travel for yourself and potentially other staff or team members for key TLR events.
- Provide social media coverage for races and events where team manager has a presence. Work with team members to get coverage from races that are attended by the team.
- Manage the contingency payments for a) paid team members with an identified contingency program and b) TLR contingency program for all other registered team members' performance in the program including, but not limited to validating race results submitted, and applying payments to their Horizon Hobby account.
- Develop and manage a team of regional team captains to coordinate communication and event participation in each region.
- Coordinate content for social media that helps to educate and grow the RC racing community.
- Have a close working relationship with the brand manager to ensure a cohesive message throughout the TLR branding in field and online.
- May include domestic and potentially some international team events.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
- Minimum of 5 years of competition racing experience with R/C cars. Should also have good knowledge of the R/C industry. College degree in a related field is a plus, but can be substituted with “real-world” experience.
- Must possess strong leadership skills along with a proven work ethic and people skills.
- Must be a strategic thinker with the ability to put together both short and long-range plans and objectives.
- Must be self-motivated, detail-oriented, capable of multi-tasking, and able to organize/set work priorities for themselves and others.
- Must possess strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to communicate and interact with all levels of the organization, vendors, and customers.
- Proficienct in the use of computers with good working knowledge of Excel, Word, and Outlook.